Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An experiment

So, last Friday, I was out at my parents lake cabin, by myself (with two dogs), while it rained all night and all day. I went to Video Quest here in Pullman to rent a movie, and found out I could rent 5 old movies for 6 bucks. So I went ahead and did it. Then, I was so bored, I watched four of them in one day. Here's my impressions of them - some I had seen before, some I hadn't.

Movie #1 - Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (1996)
I rented this because Jeremy had taken me to the play in the park two days earlier, so the story was fresh in my mind, and I realized it had been almost 12 years since I've seen this version. I do love how Baz Lehrmann took olde english, and put it into a modern, gang-riddled, dirty L.A. setting. 17-year-old Leonardo Decaprio doesn't do it for me, but the characters are all portrayed very well.

My thoughts on the actual STORY, though? Well, first, Romeo and Juliet are DRAMA QUEENS, and Romeo hangs out in a pretty rough crowd. Secondly, they received some VERY unwise council, in the forms of the Priest and the Nurse. Star cross'd lovers? Yes, but perhaps cooler heads may have prevailed? But then it wouldn't be a timeless love story, would it?

Movie #2 - Definitely, Maybe (2008)

I've recently become a Ryan Reynolds fan, ever since I saw him in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Proposal.

Definitely, Maybe stars him and Abigail Breslin as his daughter. It's a very cute telling of a man's life story, or maybe more accurate, his love story. It's very sweet, and definitely worth a rental, maybe. :)




Movie #3 - August Rush (2007)
To be honest, I never had much of a desire to see this movie. That being said, I rented it because I had friends who LOVED it.

I almost turned it off 10 minutes in, because the premise is so absurd. "Orphaned kid finds his parents by 'following the music.'" Puh-lease.

However, I'm glad I stuck with it, because it's a beautiful story, it's always worthwhile to see Robin Williams play a creepy character, and I do love me a happy ending!

Movie #4 - Cold Mountain (2003)
As my husband can attest, I have a terrible memory. I rented this one, forgetting I'd seen it on the DVR at home.

That being said, I'm glad I watched it again. It's such an incredible movie, with outstanding acting and a poignant storyline.

It's no wonder this movie was nominated for seven Oscars. Just an FYI - there are some steamy scenes, that certainly weren't there in the TV version, so I wasn't prepared for that...

No comments: