Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Feeling Domestic

Last week I had a day where I was feeling very domestic, so I was motivated to make couch pillow covers and cinnamon-swirl bread in one day. The result was some nice new pillows but I am now totally burnt out on being domestic, for at least a month. :)

So, first, the cinnamon bread. I wanted to make this recipe, and I did, but of course it didn't turn out as well as it did on the Pioneer Woman's website. It was yummy, and we made french toast with it the next day (yum). But it took a total of about SIX hours to make. I'm sorry, but no matter how good it was, I don't think I'll spend six hours on it again. Ah well.


I also decided that my couch pillows were in need of some attention since I have a (very sweet, cuddly, loving) Rogue Beagle who drools on them constantly. Gross, right? I even took a picture of the drool-covered maroon pillow to post on here, but decided it was too gross for public consumption. So I deleted it. You can thank me later.

I wanted some pillows that coordinated with the room's color scheme, had a pattern, and a light color. So off I went to the Joann Fabrics home decor section. I found this pattern and loved it, and bought 2.5 yards, which turned out to be exactly the right amount to cover four pillows. (How often does that happen??) I decided to make the covers removable, so I can take them off and wash them when they get covered in drool, instead of raking out the dough for a whole new set of couch pillows every 4-6 months. So I bought three buttons for each pillow. About four hours of sewing and stitching on buttons later, this is the result. I love them!


It's safe to say that Reggie likes them too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pillowcases! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Your pillows are so cute! I'm way impressed!!

Kathy said...

I'm LOVING the new pillows!

Chad and Cate Kuhlmann said...

Very cute pillows! Isn't it fun to be domestic!