Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Making over the world's ugliest mailbox


Our house is 65 years old (to be exact). I think this mailbox has probably been around since the house was built. I don't have a "before" picture, but it shows much wear and tear. You can sort-of see it here. It's basically a standard, metal, dented US mailbox. Add to that that it is standing on a metal pipe (yes, pipe) that is cemented into the ground, meaning that if we were going to replace this mailbox, we'd have to dig it out, possibly requiring a jackhammer. No thanks.

But it is really ugly due to the fact that the pipe it's standing on is bent at a 30-degree angle. It's an eyesore. So I thought I'd try and apply some makeup, so to speak. First I spray painted the pole (pipe), flag, and handle black, then spray painted the rest of it red to match our front door and shutters. Then I had my sister cut some vinyl stickers of our address, and I
applied them. I really like how it's turned out. Certainly not the world's best-looking mailbox, but it's not quite as awful as it was before.

No comments: