Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Off to the races

I'm going to try and sound all "triathlete-chic" and say that Racing Season has begun. Please don't make fun of my times, because I'm new to all this, and my only main goal is to just FINISH all these events.

I started training a few weeks back with a friend of mine, Erika, who is great about ahem, "encouraging" me to work out at least three times a week. The best thing for me is working out in the weight room with the football team, because they're very good about "motivating" each other to push hard, which makes me push harder, just being near them.

A few weeks back, Jeremy, Reggie and I did the Canine Canter, which is a 5k fundraiser for the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine, and I finished in about 33 minutes. Then, last weekend, I bought a bike. It's a used Fuji hybrid with road tires, handlebar extensions, and a racing seat, so I think it's just about perfect for my needs. I need a lot of practice, though, because I'm not comfortable yet.

This weekend is Bloomsday, a 12k, and should be a fun family event, with Jeremy and my whole family running. My goal is to finish in 90 minutes, which would mean 12-minute miles. I think I can do it if the motivation is there, and my "weaving" skills are up to par. Jeremy's hoping to finish in 60 minutes. I know he can do it!!

THEN start the traithlons. This means I need to get into a pool to start swimming. I bought a swim cap and goggles, and found out that the pool on campus has a "women's session" on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I'm going to go. I am! Really.

We're already signed up for the Race the River Triathlon in Coeur d'Alene on July 26th, but I think I want to do another one as well. I'm considering:
- Spring Festival Triathlon/Duathlon in Moses Lake, 5/25 (sprint distance)
- The Moses Lake Family Tri, 6/6 (offers family, sprint, and olympic distances)
- The Ellensburg Tri, 8/8 (close to sprint distance)

Let me know if you know anyone who has done any of these! 5/25 is awfully close, but we'll see!

In other news, I'm totally lovin this ring. Why are things like that so expensive? :(

2 comments:

Chad and Cate Kuhlmann said...

Sounds like your a busy lady. Look for Claire and me at bloomsday we'll be behind you though cause i'm doing the stroller section this year!

Ivy Wang said...

Fun! Good for you two! Don't get run over by any crazy moms!