Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sex and the City


I've watched some Sex and the City over the years, so when the movie was set to come out, I thought "Sure, I'll go see that." Last night, my girlfriends from work had a girls night out, and we went to see the SATC Movie.

I'm definitely used to the "TBS version" of the show - no sex, no nudity, no f-bombs. Boy, am I glad I had read a review before I went to see this one! I had been forewarned that this was definitely the "HBO version," and also that it was WAY too long (2 1/2 hours).

THE GOOD: The movie was cute, I thought it tied up plot lines very well, and I had a good time. The themes of the movie were interesting (abandonment, lonliness, keeping your partner happy) and it was one of the most colorful movies I've seen in a long time. The humor in this film really is great - it had me laughing a couple of times. Oh, and Jennifer Hudson was a GREAT addition. She added a more realistic, down-to-earth human element.
THE BAD: First of all, the length. I could have chopped at least 30 minutes out. I got tired of the women flaunting their extravagant lifestyles, which are pretty unrealistic and make normal people look poor. Also I got annoyed at the women in the theater who (1) cackled loudly at all the semi-funny jokes, (2) said "Whoo Hoo!!" at all the nudity, and (3) said "Awww..." way too much.

I went with 7 ladies I know, some of whom have never seen the show before, and everyone enjoyed the movie. Definitely a fun night with the girls!!

No comments: