Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Getting Old

I feel like I'm getting old. Really. I know I'm only 26, and that I have a beautiful, hopefully long, life ahead of me. Don't get me wrong - I don't feel over the hill, but I live in Pullman, where 50% of the population is between 18 and 24 (Really! Check the demographics!), so you can see how 26 1/2 might feel old. AND I have a job where I hang out with very young, very beautiful women all the time.

I started getting grey hair when I was 24. I've had back problems since I was 14. And yesterday I had "an old sports injury" occur in my shoulder. Not to mention that people I barely know have started asking me "When are you going to have kids?" in a very urgent way, like they think my time is running out. For goodness sake.

I have to admit, I think about the number THIRTY in a little bit of a scary way - it's like what comedian George Carlin says about aging:

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. 'How old are you?' 'I'm four and a half!' You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.
You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. 'How old are you?' 'I'm gonna be 16!' You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . You become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony. YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!
But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away.


1 comment:

jessiparkert said...

I don't feel old, but sometimes when those teenagers are blarring their loud music, all I can think is "they are going to be deaf by age 35." So my body is still young, but I have the mind of a 75 year old.