Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dark Knight

I absolutely loved Batman Begins (see here). So I was really excited about The Dark Knight, especially because the reviews were great and it was so critically acclaimed. I thought BB was a dark film, so I was surprised to see the Gotham world get even darker. I had heard a lot of Oscar buzz for Heath Ledger's Joker, which I attributed to a "pity nomination," because of his passing.

HOWEVER, after seeing his performance, I wouldn't be shocked if he was not only nominated, but won the Academy Award. Where Jack Nicholson's Joker was goofy and comic-booky, Ledger's Joker was the most horrifying, gruesome villain I've probably ever seen. brrohg! - gives me the creeps to just think about it!

The movie was great, maybe a little long (almost three hours), but they had to make it so in order to (minor spoiler) give both villains adequate screen time.

There's a great scene in Hong Kong, and the chase-sequences are fantastic. Aaron Eckhart plays a very strong Harvey Dent and I thought Maggie Gyllenhall was a much better Rachel than Katie Holmes. I give this one a very solid A-, and I think I only rated it so low because I had to look away in fright/horror a couple of times.

No comments: