Friday, July 25, 2008

Who knew there was a jungle on the Palouse?



This is my back yard. Basically, it's 60+ years of overgrowth that I strive to retain, every week. After living in this house over two years, I have given up hope of ever really USING this back yard, mostly because it's on a very extreme slope and it would take a backhoe to get enough of the prickly shrubs (garden roses, holly, etc.) out of there for us to inhabit it.

Don't get me wrong. If someone had the financial means to actually get a backhoe down there, terrace the slope, and sod the lawn, this could be an extremely nice little area. But we don't have those financial means, and we don't have green thumbs. SO, I just do my best to keep the pathways clear and cut back enough so that when we go to sell the house, the buyers won't think it's TOO much of a hopeless jungle.

BUT the upside of having 60+ years of overgrowth means that I find real jems every now and then. For example, there's a plum tree back there! It grows those yummy little plums and they are ripening right now. Here are some other things I've found back there:

Lilacs

Peonies

Sweet Pea

Pink/Red Roses

1 comment:

jessiparkert said...

Pretty flowers! It looks like it has great potential, but you are so right about the financial means and the time!! But such pretty flowers!